Skip to content
Home > Hazardous Waste > Business Hazardous Waste
Art and Craft Supplies picture by PNNL - Pacific Northwest National Laborator... (680)   original Flickr:

Businesses with Hazardous Waste

Wastes in this section are dangerous to you and the environment. Handle them carefully and dispose of them properly.

Legally, households may not transport more than 15 gallons of wet or 125 pounds of dry hazardous materials. Read about the regulation.

Businesses tend to generate more hazardous waste than households and the waste can be very different from what a household would have. Because of this, businesses are treated differently when it comes to hazardous waste.

Businesses that generate hazardous waste have to pay more for disposal than residents. It is the price of doing business. Residents pay for their low level of hazardous waste collection in their trash fees; businesses vary greatly in how much hazardous waste they generate, so they don't pay anything until they visit a center.

This page highlights some important facility information and regulations for businesses.

Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators

If you produce a small amount of hazardous waste as a business, you may be considered a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG).

State and Federal hazardous waste laws limit the use of hazardous waste collection facilities to businesses that qualify as a CESQG. CESQGs may not produce more than 100 kilograms (27 gallons or 220 pounds) of hazardous waste per month, including a maximum of 1 kilogram (1 quart or 2.2 pounds) of acutely hazardous waste. Businesses that produce more than this amount are required to use a licensed hazardous waste hauler to manifest and transport their waste.

Businesses that generate waste on an ongoing basis are required by law to have a State or Federal ID number.  You can find more information on the Department of Toxic Substances Control website. Some businesses that generate and handle universal waste, and businesses that generate less than 100 kg per month of photographic waste containing silver are exempt for having an ID number.

Large Quantity Generators

Businesses that produce more than the CESQG amount are requires to use a licensed hazardous waste hauler to manifest and transport their waste.

CESQG Businesses at Local Facilities is primarily aimed at households. The facilities below accept hazardous waste from the CESQGs. The information below also includes the charges.

Community Hazardous Waste Collection Facility

Businesses in Santa Barbara County that qualify as a CESQG are eligible to use the Community Hazardous Waste Collection Center (Collection Center) on Fridays by appointment. Businesses are charged a user fee of $23.50 for processing and administration costs, plus a disposal fee based on the types and quantities of waste being disposed. Nonprofit organizations (501(c)(3)) are eligible for a 25 percent discount and the user fee is waived.

Download our CESQG brochure here.

Lompoc businesses are not eligible, since the City offers a CESQG program (see below). In addition to the $23.50 user fee, businesses located in the cities of Buellton, Carpinteria, Guadalupe, and Santa Maria will be charged an additional 30 percent to cover overhead costs, since those jurisdictions do not participate in the program.

Businesses and all non-households (including churches, schools, agencies and nonprofit groups) may use the Collection Center on Fridays between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., by appointment only. To make an appointment, call the County of Santa Barbara's Resource Recovery & Waste Management Division at (805) 882-3602. Businesses and other non-households may not use the Collection Center on weekend days. The fees listed below pertain to the types of hazardous waste accepted from Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) and are effective from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013:

Facility Fee: $23.50

Automotive/Machine Shop

Motor Oil/Hydraulic Oil
Oil/Water Mixture
Motor Oil Filters
Water-Based Cutting Oil


Alkaline/Lead Acid/Silver Oxide
Automotive/Nickel Cadmium
No charge
No charge

Bulked Items (based on net liquid)

Latex Paint
No charge*
Oil-Based Paint
No charge*
Waste Paint and Thinner

Chemicals (based on gross weight)

Liquids/Solids (Overpacks)
Liquids/Solids (Labpacks)
Mercury (Elemental/Compounds)
Mercury (Manufactured Articles)
Non-RCRA Landfill
Paint (Quarts/Pints)
PCB Ballasts


Asbestos (Friable)
Asbestos (Rooftar)
Contaminated Soil
Drums (55-Gallon Steel or Plastic)
Fluorescent Bulbs
Propane Cylinders (3 Gallons or Less)
Propane Cylinders (Over 3 Gallons)
$16.00 each


Chlor-D-tect/PCB Test
Hazardous Category Test
* Latex and oil-based paint must meet the criteria established by PaintCare in order to be accepted at no charge.

City of Lompoc's Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility

Businesses and residents of the City of Lompoc who qualify as a CESQG are eligible to use the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility.

The facility is open on Tuesdays through Fridays, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., by appointment only.

City of Lompoc Landfill

Accepts some hazardous waste from businesses. Check out the City of Lompoc Landfill page for more information.

Where to go

Related Events

Related Materials

Related Articles