Hazardous Waste Warning
Wastes in this section are dangerous to you and the environment. Handle them carefully and dispose of them properly.
Legally, households may not transport more than 15 gallons of wet or 125 pounds of dry hazardous materials. Read about the regulation.
California's New PaintCare Program Expands Collection Sites
In October 2012, seven paint stores in Santa Barbara County began collecting old paint from the public as part of a new program operated by the paint industry group PaintCare. A year later, Santa Barbara County now has 15 free PaintCare sites. Read more by clicking here.
Latex paint is hazardous?
Unlike in some other states, latex paint (or water-based paint) is considered hazardous waste when disposed of in California. Fortunately, latex paint is highly recyclable. When you drop it off at a collection center, you not only keep it out of the landfill, but you also help create new products.
What about paint reuse programs?
If you have paint that is still in good condition, some collection facilities will offer it to the public as part of their reuse or exchange programs. The paint should be kept in its original container (with a legible label!) and be free of contaminants. If you're in need of paint, try calling one of the collection centers ahead of time to see if they have the color you're looking for.
Avoid leftover paint altogether!
It's easy: Buy only what you need. Before heading to the paint store, use this online calculator to determine how much paint is required for the job. All it takes is a few quick measurements of the room(s) you're planning to paint.
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (1)
- Safety Kleen — 5310 Overpass Road
Carpinteria Area (1)
- City of Carpinteria ABOP Center — 5775 Carpinteria Ave
Santa Barbara Area (6)
- *Community Hazardous Waste Collection Center — University of California, Environmental Health and Safety Building, Building 565, Mesa Road
- Dunn-Edwards — 233 West Carrillo Street
- Frazee Paint — 617 Chapala Street
- Glidden Professional Paint Center — 132 East Montecito Street
- MarBorg Industries' Recycling /ABOP Center — 725 Cacique Street
- Vista Paint — 516 East Gutierrez Street, Suite 4
Goleta & UCSB Area (3)
Santa Ynez Valley (3)
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (3)
- City of Lompoc Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility — 1585 N. "V" St
- Sherwin-Williams — 137 West Central Avenue
- Vandenberg Air Force Base Balfour Beatty Communities Self-Help Store — 603 Juniper Street
Santa Maria Valley (5)
- City of Santa Maria Household Hazardous Waste Facility — 2065 East Main Street
- Glidden Professional Paint Center — 721 South Miller Street
- Kelly Moore — 1760 South Broadway
- Orchard Supply Hardware — 1950 South Broadway
- Waste Management — 1850 West Betteravia Road
Outside Santa Barbara County (6)
April 11, 2015
April 12, 2015
May 02, 2015
- Aerosol Cans (with contents)
- Art and Craft Supplies Reuse
- Home Improvement Items/Supplies Reuse
- Household Goods Reuse
- Latex-Based Paint
- Lead Paint Disposal
- Oil-Based Paint
- Product Stewardship
- Reuse Tips
- Solvents and Adhesives
- Stains and Finishes
March 23, 2015 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
January 23, 2015 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
December 18, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
November 13, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
November 12, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
September 29, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
June 24, 2014 by Alan Nakashima - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
June 16, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
April 01, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
December 20, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
October 02, 2013 by Alan Nakashima - Electronics
September 20, 2013 by Alan Nakashima - Electronics
April 01, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
February 19, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
December 10, 2012 by Alan Nakashima - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
November 13, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
February 27, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
September 20, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
April 13, 2011 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics