Hazardous Waste Warning
Wastes in this section are dangerous to you and the environment. Handle them carefully and dispose of them properly.
Legally, households may not transport more than 15 gallons of wet or 125 pounds of dry hazardous materials. Read about the regulation.
Many types of antifreeze and engine coolants are toxic. All brands and colors of antifreeze are accepted at the locations listed below.
What about "Non-Toxic" Antifreeze?
Some types of antifreeze use propylene glycol, which is less toxic than the other types, such as ethylene glycol and methanol. Even so, brands of antifreeze that are labeled as non-toxic or less-toxic should still be disposed of at a hazardous waste collection facility. These types of antifreeze can be corrosive and should be treated as a poison if ingested.
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (1)
- Safety Kleen — 5310 Overpass Road
Carpinteria Area (2)
- City of Carpinteria ABOP Center — 5775 Carpinteria Ave
- City of Carpinteria Used Oil Self-Service Recycling Center — 5775 Carpinteria Avenue
Santa Barbara Area (2)
Goleta & UCSB Area (2)
Santa Ynez Valley (2)
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (3)
- City of Lompoc Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility — 1585 N. "V" St
- City of Lompoc Landfill (Scalehouse) — Avalon Rd (south end)
- Vandenberg Air Force Base Auto Hobby Shop — Building 10262, Community Loop
Santa Maria Valley (2)
- City of Santa Maria Household Hazardous Waste Facility — 2065 East Main Street
- Waste Management — 1850 West Betteravia Road
Outside Santa Barbara County (7)
- Asbury Environmental Services — 2100 North Alameda Street
- BGI — 527 North Rice Avenue
- C.J. Seto Support Services, LLC — 2300 Knoll Dr, Unit G
- Clean Harbors, Inc. — 880 W Verdulera St
- Earth911.com - Information Only — 1375 North Scottsdale Road, Suite 140
- Industrial Waste Utilization — 5601 State Street
- Stericycle, Incorporated
April 01, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
December 10, 2012 by Alan Nakashima - Hazardous Waste
November 13, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste
September 23, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
June 12, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste
February 27, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
September 20, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
June 30, 2011 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
April 13, 2011 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics