Blue Bin Recycling
Hard plastics #1 and #2 can be recycled in your commingled recycling container at your home, business, apartment, or school.
You can also recycle them at locations listed below.
Plastics #1 and #2 are the most common types of plastic containers. They are also the most likely to have a California Redemption Value (CRV) associated with them. Check out our CRV page for more information.
What do the numbers mean?
Numbers identify what type of plastic it is, and they're important when the materials get recycled. Click the plastic type below to learn more about each type and what it's commonly used for.
#1 - PET or PETE
- Full Name: Polyethylene Terephthalate
- Usually clear or green, glossy, rigid containers that sink in water
- Clear and green soda bottles
- Cooking oil bottles, peanut butter jars
- Salad dressing bottles and other food and drink containers
#2 - HDPE
Do I need to remove the caps?
Don't worry about it. Even though plastic containers often have plastic tops with different colors or of a different plastic type, they can be recycled together.
Where can I find more tips for recycling plastics #1 and #2?
How do I get the CRV?
The California Redemption Value is available for beverage containers. Some of the sites below are buyback centers, but not all of them. Check out our CRV Page for details, but if you see "California Redemption Value" on a location listed below, it should be a buyback center. Redeem away!
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (2)
Carpinteria Area (1)
- Tomra Pacific Inc./Albertsons#6355 — 1018 Casitas Pass Rd
Santa Barbara Area (5)
Goleta & UCSB Area (5)
- *South Coast Recycling & Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
- MarBorg Industries Recycling/ABOP Center — 20 David Love Place
- Tomra Pacific Inc./Albertsons #6357 — 5801 Calle Real
- Tomra Pacific Inc./Albertsons#6354 — 7127 Hollister Ave #27
- Tomra Pacific. Inc./Isla Vista Market — 939 Embarcadero Del Mar
Santa Ynez Valley (4)
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (4)
Santa Maria Valley (9)
- City of Santa Maria Landfill, aka City of Santa Maria Regional Landfill — 2065 E Main St
- Larrabee Brothers Recycling Center — 815 South Blosser Road
- Nexcycle/CVS Pharmacy — 4852 South Bradley Road
- Nexcycle/Spencers Fresh Markets — 3580 Orcutt Road
- Nexcycle/Vons #2300 — 1482 South Broadway
- Nexcycle/Vons #301 — 817 East Main Street
- Tomra Pacific Inc./Albertsons#6348 — 2320 S Broadway
- Tomra Pacific. Inc./La Chiquita — 1635 North Broadway
- Waste Management — 1850 West Betteravia Road
Cuyama Valley (2)
Outside Santa Barbara County (4)
February 02, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
October 06, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Policies
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
April 09, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Recycle