Hazardous Waste Warning
Wastes in this section are dangerous to you and the environment. Handle them carefully and dispose of them properly.
Legally, households may not transport more than 15 gallons of wet or 125 pounds of dry hazardous materials. Read about the regulation.
Watch our new Fluorescent Lights Video!
Click here or below:
Handling Instructions for CFLs
Be careful not to break compact fluorescent lights (CFLs)! Each CFL contains a small amount of mercury, which can be dangerous if released into the open.
What if my bulb breaks?
Please take a look at our Broken Fluorescent Light Bulb Cleanup page for more information.
Really, these lights contain mercury?
Yes, mercury vapor is used to transport electrical currents through the light bulb. Even though the amount of mercury is relatively small, CFLs must still be disposed of as hazardous waste. Mercury is a toxic heavy metal that can cause severe damage to the brain, nervous system, kidneys, lungs, and other vital organs. Pregnant women, infants, and young children are especially at risk.
How should I store and transport my old CFLs?
Place your used CFLs in a sturdy container that has a lid; a box or bucket works well. Remember to keep the container in a safe spot, away from children and pets. When you're ready to head to a collection facility, put the container in your trunk or back seat, making sure to secure it so that it doesn't shake or tip over.
Read our most recent press release here!
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (1)
- Safety Kleen — 5310 Overpass Road
Carpinteria Area (2)
Santa Barbara Area (3)
Goleta & UCSB Area (5)
- *Community Hazardous Waste Collection Center — University of California, Environmental Health and Safety Building, Building 565, Mesa Road
- *South Coast Recycling & Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
- Home Depot — 6975 Marketplace Drive
- MarBorg Industries Recycling/ABOP Center — 20 David Love Place
- Orchard Supply Hardware — 125 North Fairview Avenue
Santa Ynez Valley (1)
- *Santa Ynez Valley Recycling and Transfer Station — 4004 Foxen Canyon Road
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (4)
- City of Lompoc Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility — 1585 N. "V" St
- Home Depot — 1701 East Ocean Avenue
- LampRecycling.com — 2200 Oden Avenue, #100
- Vandenberg Air Force Base Balfour Beatty Communities Self-Help Store — 603 Juniper Street
Santa Maria Valley (3)
- City of Santa Maria Household Hazardous Waste Facility — 2065 East Main Street
- Home Depot — 2120 South Bradley Road
- Orchard Supply Hardware — 1950 South Broadway
Outside Santa Barbara County (11)
- Asbury Environmental Services — 2100 North Alameda Street
- BGI — 527 North Rice Avenue
- C.J. Seto Support Services, LLC — 2300 Knoll Dr, Unit G
- Clean Harbors, Inc. — 880 W Verdulera St
- Earth911.com - Information Only — 3481 Plano Parkway
- Eco Lights Northwest Recycling Progam — 2200 6th Avenue South
- Industrial Waste Utilization — 5601 State Street
- LampRecycling.com — 2200 Ogden Avenue, #100
- Mercury Technologies of Minnesota, Inc. — P.O. Box 13
- Stericycle, Incorporated
- Waste Management Incorporated, Think Green from Home
April 02, 2017
April 08, 2017
May 06, 2017
- Broken Fluorescent Light Clean-Up
- CFLs - Compact Fluorescent Lights
- Fluorescent Light Tubes
- Home Improvement Items/Supplies Reuse
- Product Stewardship
March 27, 2017 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
December 19, 2016 by Jody Rundle - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
November 13, 2016 by Sam Dickinson - Recycle
November 10, 2016 by Jody Rundle - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
November 06, 2016 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
October 03, 2016 by Jody Rundle - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
September 30, 2016 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
May 24, 2016 by Jody Rundle - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
March 21, 2016 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
November 30, 2015 by Jody Rundle - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
June 29, 2015 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
March 31, 2015 by Jody Rundle - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
January 23, 2015 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
December 18, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
June 24, 2014 by Alan Nakashima - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
June 16, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
December 20, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
September 20, 2013 by Alan Nakashima - Electronics
April 01, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
December 10, 2012 by Alan Nakashima - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
November 13, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Hazardous Waste Recycling/Disposal
February 27, 2012 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics
September 20, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
April 13, 2011 by Leslie Robinson - Electronics