County Composting Bins
The County of Santa Barbara offers discounted Earth Machine composting bins to help residents start their home composting efforts.
If you would like to pick up one of these bins, check the location information below.
While you don't need a composting bin to compost, many people prefer to contain their compost in one. The County offers the Earth Machine backyard composting bin for only $45, which is more than half off the retail price.
The bins are available to Santa Barbara County residents only. Payment may be made by cash, local check, or credit card. Please note that the County now accepts VISA or Mastercard for payments.
What is the Earth Machine?
The Earth Machine is an aerobic composting bin. It is a great container to begin composting at home, but keep in mind that it's not a self turning or tumbling style bin. And though worms are welcome in an Earth Machine, it's not an actual worm bin. It does have the following features and benefits:
- Snaps together with no tools required
- Round to allow turning the compost from any direction
- Sliding door is lockable to prevent animal entry
- Ground screw to attach container to the ground for wind and animal protection
- Ventilation slots let in air and keep out animals
- Twist top for vent control
- Black color retains heat
- Durable and lightweight plastic
How big is it?
Here are the full specs:
- Material: ultraviolet resistant recycled polyethylene plastic
- Weight: 20 pounds
- Holds: 10 cubic feet or 80 gallons
- Assembled: 33" high and 34" wide
- Unassembled (to fit in your car): 18" high x 34" wide
- Six Pieces: lid, top, bottom, door*, four ground screws*, instruction booklet* (*packaged together).
- Feedstock: garden and kitchen waste
- Warranty: 10 years
How do I put it together?
There are excellent directions on assembling your Earth Machine on the Earth Machine website.
Is there a bigger picture?
"We actually bought altogether three 'Earth Machines', and we LOVE the result. We are a household of four. Our landfill trash has been reduced to one (!) plastic bag per week, and we are pretty happy about that. (We put our recycling bin to good use, though.) Thank you for offering this landfill-alternative to the community!" - Elisabeth
Is there anywhere else to purchase Earth Machines?
What about other composting bins?
You can find out more about where you can purchase other aerobic composting bins on our Retail Compost Bin page. If you're interested in worm composting and buying a worm bin, you can check out our Vermicomposting page. You can also check out how to build your own composting bin in the booklet listed on our Home Composting page.
Where to go
Santa Barbara Area (1)
- *South Coast Recycling and Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
Goleta & UCSB Area (1)
- *South Coast Recycling & Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (1)
- City of Lompoc Corporate Yard — 1300 W. Laurel Ave
Santa Maria Valley (1)
- *North County Public Works Building — 620 W Foster Road
April 01, 2017
April 08, 2017
April 15, 2017
April 20, 2017
- Benefits of Composting
- Business Food Scraps Collection
- Composting Workshops
- Discount Compost Bins
- Food Donation
- Food Waste Prevention
- Home Composting
- Retail Compost Bins
December 25, 2016 by Alan Nakashima
November 13, 2016 by Sam Dickinson - Recycle
November 06, 2016 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
May 09, 2016 by Sam Dickinson - Yard Waste
May 04, 2015 by Sam Dickinson - Yard Waste
January 28, 2015 by Sam Dickinson - Electronics
September 05, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Food Forward
July 07, 2014 by Sam Dickinson - Food Forward
May 05, 2014 by Sam Dickinson - Food Forward
April 15, 2014 by Sam Dickinson - Food Forward
February 13, 2014 by Tom Chiarodit - Yard Waste
December 01, 2013 by Sam Dickinson - Yard Waste
May 10, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Yard Waste
May 24, 2012 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste
November 19, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
May 09, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste
December 01, 2010 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste