County Composting Bins
The County of Santa Barbara offers discounted Earth Machine composting bins to help residents start their home composting efforts.
If you would like to pick up one of these bins, check the location information below.
While you don't need a composting bin to compost, many people prefer to contain their compost in one. The County offers the Earth Machine backyard composting bin for only $40, which is more than half off the retail price.
We now have a limited supply of compost aerators available at our South Coast Location! Read more about the compost aerators on our blog.
The bins are available to Santa Barbara County residents only. Payment may be made by cash, local check, or credit card. Please note that the County now accepts VISA or Mastercard for payments.
What is the Earth Machine?
The Earth Machine is an aerobic composting bin. It is a great container to begin composting at home, but keep in mind that it's not a self turning or tumbling style bin. And though worms are welcome in an Earth Machine, it's not an actual worm bin. It does have the following features and benefits:
- Snaps together with no tools required
- Round to allow turning the compost from any direction
- Sliding door is lockable to prevent animal entry
- Ground screw to attach container to the ground for wind and animal protection
- Ventilation slots let in air and keep out animals
- Twist top for vent control
- Black color retains heat
- Durable and lightweight plastic
How big is it?
Here are the full specs:
- Material: ultraviolet resistant recycled polyethylene plastic
- Weight: 20 pounds
- Holds: 10 cubic feet or 80 gallons
- Assembled: 33" high and 34" wide
- Unassembled (to fit in your car): 18" high x 34" wide
- Six Pieces: lid, top, bottom, door*, four ground screws*, instruction booklet* (*packaged together).
- Feedstock: garden and kitchen waste
- Warranty: 10 years
How do I put it together?
Is there a bigger picture?
Is there anywhere else to purchase Earth Machines?
While all County and City residents are welcome to purchase the Earth Machine, the City of Lompoc also has a discounted sale for City residents only. If you live in the City, read their information for more details.
What about other composting bins?
You can find out more about where you can purchase other aerobic composting bins on our Retail Compost Bin page. If you're interested in worm composting and buying a worm bin, you can check out our Vermicomposting page. You can also check out how to build your own composting bin in the booklet listed on our Home Composting page.
Where to go
Santa Barbara Area (1)
- *South Coast Recycling and Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
Goleta & UCSB Area (1)
- *South Coast Recycling & Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (1)
- City of Lompoc Utilities Department, Solid Waste Division — 1300 West Laurel Avenue
Santa Maria Valley (1)
- *North County Public Works Building — 620 W Foster Road
- Benefits of Composting
- Compost Workshops
- Discount Compost Bins
- Home Composting
- Retail Compost Bins
December 01, 2013 by Sam Dickinson - Yard Waste
May 10, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Yard Waste
May 24, 2012 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste
November 18, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
May 09, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste
December 01, 2010 by Jeff Simeon - Yard Waste