Place items in this section into your commingled recycling container if you have recycling service at your home, business, apartment or school.
You may also recycle glass at locations listed on this page.
All glass containers are recyclable. Clear, brown, green, yellow, blue, big, small -- You name it! Feel free to place all types of glass bottles and jars in your recycling bin. Alternatively, you can take them to the recycling buyback centers or drop-off centers listed on this page.
What about windows, light bulbs, and drinking glasses?
While all glass is made out of the same basic materials (sand, ash, soda and lime), if you have a glass object that is not a standard glass container, you shouldn't place it in your recycling container. Glass made for other purposes, like windows and light bulbs, has different additives and coatings. For one, these coatings make the glass break differently. A car window, for example, will break much differently than a glass container dropped on the floor.
What about jar and bottle tops?
Should jars and bottles be cleaned?
It's always best if materials are cleaned before being put in your recycling bin. This helps to avoid contaminating any paper that might be mixed in with your glass. Don't worry about making your containers glisten, but a quick rinse and dry is helpful.
How do I get the CRV?
The California Redemption Value is available for beverage containers only. No jars. Some of the sites below are buyback centers, but not all of them. Check out our CRV Page for details, but if you see "California Redemption Value" on a location listed below, it should be a buyback center. Redeem away!
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (2)
Carpinteria Area (1)
- rePlanet/Albertsons #6355 — 1018 Casitas Pass Road
Santa Barbara Area (5)
- *South Coast Recycling and Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
- MarBorg Industries — 119 North Quarantina Street
- MarBorg Industries' Recycling /ABOP Center — 725 Cacique Street
- Santa Barbara Iron and Metal Recyclers — 709 East Gutierrez Street
- South Coast Recycling and Transfer Station — 4430 Calle Real
Goleta & UCSB Area (5)
Santa Ynez Valley (5)
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (5)
Santa Maria Valley (11)
- Bedford Enterprises, Inc. — 1940 West Betteravia Road
- City of Santa Maria Landfill, aka City of Santa Maria Regional Landfill — 2065 East Main Street
- Larrabee Brothers Recycling Center — 815 South Blosser Road
- Nexcycle/CVS Pharmacy — 4852 South Bradley Road
- Nexcycle/Spencers Fresh Markets — 3580 Orcutt Road
- Nexcycle/Vons #301 — 817 East Main Street
- S Earth Recycling, LLC — 770 Guadalupe Street
- Santa Maria Area Recycling Terminal (SMART) — 1940 West Betteravia Road
- Waste Management — 1850 West Betteravia Road
- rePlanet La Chiquita — 1635 North Broadway
- rePlanet/Albertsons #6348 — 2320 South Broadway
Cuyama Valley (2)
Outside Santa Barbara County (2)
- Glass Container Recycling
- Metals (other than cans) Recycling
- Paper Recycling
- Plastics Recycling
- Recycling FAQs
- Why Recycle?
- Wine Corks Reuse
January 20, 2015 by Sam Dickinson - Electronics
November 12, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
October 03, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
September 19, 2013 by Sam Dickinson - Trash
October 06, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Policies
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
April 09, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Recycle