This section has everything you need to know about recycling at your home, business, apartment or school.
If you're not sure how to recycle a particular item, find it in the list below or use our search bar at the top of the page.
For decades steel has been one of the most recycled materials. In fact, depending on the type of steel, 80-100% of the steel in the product has already been recycled! Keep up this good work and keep your steel out of the trash.
What about stainless steel?
There are several different alloys called steel, including stainless. Don't worry; they're all recyclable, so throw them in your blue bin.
What about cans?
What if I have rebar or large scraps?
Large scraps can be taken to many of the locations listed below. If in doubt, just give them a call. Also, if you have appliances made out of steel, please take a look at our large appliance and small appliance pages to properly dispose of them.
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (2)
Santa Barbara Area (4)
Goleta & UCSB Area (2)
Santa Ynez Valley (1)
- *Santa Ynez Valley Recycling and Transfer Station — 4004 Foxen Canyon Road
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (1)
- Vandenberg Air Force Base Materials Diversion Center — Building 11510, 1205 Utah Avenue
Santa Maria Valley (4)
- Bedford Enterprises, Inc. — 1940 West Betteravia Road
- Black Road Auto — 1500 South Black Road
- City of Santa Maria Landfill, aka City of Santa Maria Regional Landfill — 2065 East Main Street
- Waste Management — 1850 West Betteravia Road
Cuyama Valley (2)
Outside Santa Barbara County (2)
November 13, 2016 by Sam Dickinson - Recycle
November 06, 2016 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
January 28, 2015 by Sam Dickinson - Electronics
October 03, 2013 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
September 19, 2013 by Sam Dickinson - Trash
October 06, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Policies
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics
April 09, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Recycle