Athletic Shoe Recycling
If your old shoes are beyond repair, give them a useful second life.
Usable shoes can be taken to locations in our Clothing Reuse page.
Only athletic shoes without any metal can be accepted. No dress shoes, shoes with cleats, or wet or damp shoes will be accepted.
Through its Reuse-A-Shoe Program, Nike collects athletic shoes of any kind and any brand and grinds them up to recover their materials. Nike then donates these materials to communities around the world:
- Ground rubber from the outsole is used for soccer, football, and baseball fields, as well as weight room flooring
- Ground foam from the midsole is used for synthetic basketball courts, tennis courts, and playground surface tiles
- Fabric from the upper portion of the shoes is used as padding for use under hardwood basketball floors
If you have information about other shoe recycling programs, please contact us so we can include it here.
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (4)
Santa Barbara Area (1)
- Goodwill Industries of Santa Barbara — 4223 State Street
Santa Ynez Valley (1)
- Santa Ynez Valley Humane Society Treasures Thrift Store — 393 Alisal Road
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (1)
- Goodwill Industries Lompoc — 1009 North "H" Street
Santa Maria Valley (1)
- Goodwill Industries Retail Store — 1539 Stowell Center Plaza
Outside Santa Barbara County (9)
- California Materials Exchange (CALMAX)
- Converse Outlet Store — 620 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 1304
- G. I. Industries/ Waste Management, Inc. — 195 West Los Angeles Avenue
- Gold Coast Recycling Center — 5275 Colt Street
- Nike Factory Store Camarillo Premium Outlet Center — 1030 Camarillo Center
- Nike Factory Store Camarillo Premium Outlet Center — 990 Camarillo Center Drive, Suite 1030
- Nike Recycling Center — c/o Reuse-a-Shoe, 26755 Southwest 95th Avenue
- Nike Town Los Angeles — 9560 Wilshire Boulevard
- Whole Foods Market — 740 North Moorpark Road