Clothing Reuse and Recycling
Clothing that is still wearable can be donated to thrift stores or sold online.
Further reduce waste by purchasing from the locations listed here.
Reduce Clothing Waste
Our grandparents knew all the ways to keep their wardrobe alive for years, including mending clothes instead of throwing them away. While they aren't included on this page, there are many seamstress services in the area that can help keep your favorite clothes in great shape.
Close the Loop!
An integral part of reducing clothing waste is to purchase items from thrift stores and other used clothing locations. Even buying vintage clothing is waste reduction! If you're ambitious you can host a clothing swap party to give away your old clothes and get "new to you" clothing for free!
Find homes for old clothing by giving it to family, neighbors, and community members in need. The locations listed below are primarily thrift stores and online markets for used clothing. These sites often accept shoes as well.
Your old textiles can be cut up and used for projects like quilts, rugs, and patchwork. Or you can use them for rags around the house. Textile Waste Solutions actually recycles clothing into rags right here in Santa Barbara County. Check out our athletic shoe recycling page for athletic shoes that are beyond wearable.
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (4)
Carpinteria Area (1)
- Catholic Charities — 941 Walnut Avenue
Santa Barbara Area (9)
- Alpha Thrift Store — 700 North Milpas Street
- Assistance League of Santa Barbara — 1259 Veronica Springs Rd
- Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc. — 609 E Haley St
- Crossroads Trading Company — 1025 State Street
- Goodwill Industries of Santa Barbara — 302 W Carrillo St
- My Sweet Pineapple — 1329 State Street
- United Family Association Thrift — 5156 Hollister Avenue
- United Family Association Thrift Store — 5156 Hollister Avenue
- Unity Shoppe — 1219 State Street
Goleta & UCSB Area (2)
Santa Ynez Valley (6)
- Buellton Senior Thrift Store — 56 West Highway 246
- New to You Shop — 1689 Oak
- People Helping People Thrift Store — 1980 Old Mission Drive, Suite C2
- Santa Ynez Valley Humane Society Treasures Thrift Store — 393 Alisal Road
- Santa Ynez Valley Opportunity Shop — 3630 Sagunto Street, Suite E
- United Voluntary Services Thrift Shop — 3551 Sagunto
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (7)
- Aid to Veterans — 423 W Ocean Ave
- Catholic Charities — 903 East Chestnut Street
- Goodwill Industries Lompoc — 1009 North "H" Street
- Second Time Around — 110 West Ocean Avenue
- Vandenberg Air Force Base Airmen's Attic — Building 11175, New Mexico Avenue
- Vandenberg Air Force Base Military Spouse's Thrift Shop — Building 11890, New Mexico Avenue
- Vocational Training Center Enterprises Thrift Store — 124 "I" Street
Santa Maria Valley (8)
- Catholic Charities — 607 West Main Street
- City of Santa Maria Landfill, aka City of Santa Maria Regional Landfill — 2065 E Main St
- Goodwill Industries Orcutt — 1108 East Clark Avenue
- Goodwill Industries Retail Store — 1539 Stowell Center Plaza
- Jak Sak — 523 South Railroad
- New Image Thrift Store — 2512 South Broadway Street
- Rad Thrift Store — 215 West Main Street
- Vocational Training Center (VTC) Enterprises Thrift Store — 529 South Blosser Road
Outside Santa Barbara County (10)
- Bras for a Cause, Recycle Net Serve — P.O. Box 5011
- Brides Against Breast Cancer, LLC — 6279 Lake Osprey Drive
- California Materials Exchange (CALMAX)
- Cotton, Inc./Denim Recycling Program — 431 North 47th Avenue
- Freecycle — P.O. Box 294
- Moxie Jean — 504 South Arthur Avenue, Suite B
- Swap.com — 500 Harrison Avenue, 3rd Floor
- The Bra Recyclers — 3317 South Higley Road, Suite 114-441