Business Food Scraps Collection
In the United States, an astonishing 40% of our food is landfilled. Here in Santa Barbara County we're doing much better at only 20%, but we can still do more.
Read below for helpful tips to reduce the amount of food you and your family waste.
Does your business end up with leftover food scraps? Would you like that material to find a local reuse as compost? Are you willing to make the effort to see that happen? And finally, is your business located on the South Coast?
If the answer is YES, contact us to learn more about our food waste collection service:
- South Coast Unincorporated Areas (Isla Vista, Summerland, Montecito): 882-3600 or use our contact form
- City of Santa Barbara: 564-5627
- City of Goleta: 961-7565
Staff will work with your business to:
- Identify the amount of acceptable food scraps your business generates.
- Provide guidelines to help your staff understand what materials go into the designated containers.
- Analyze your trash bill to help your business add the new food collection service at minimal or no extra cost.
- Assist with periodic monitoring and feedback to help keep the program on track.
What will be collected under this program?
- Most types of food scraps or food that has gone bad
- Used paper products like paper towels and paper bags
- Biodegradable plastic bags
- Utensils like plates, knives, and forks that are certified as compostable
What materials are NOT acceptable?
- No meat, bones, or fish
- No metals, glass, plastics, or any other materials that are not readily biodegradable
- No liquids, oils, or grease
- Nothing from the bathroom (thank you very much!)
Call or e-mail us today!
For helpful tips on reducing food waste, download our Food Forward booklet.
April 01, 2017
April 08, 2017
April 15, 2017
April 20, 2017
- Backyard Composting
- Business Food Scraps Collection
- Food Donation
- Food Expiration Guidelines
- Food Waste Prevention
November 13, 2016 by Sam Dickinson - Recycle
November 06, 2016 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
May 04, 2015 by Sam Dickinson - Yard Waste
September 05, 2014 by Leslie Robinson - Food Forward
July 07, 2014 by Sam Dickinson - Food Forward
May 05, 2014 by Sam Dickinson - Food Forward
April 15, 2014 by Sam Dickinson - Food Forward