Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Timeless wisdom when it comes to waste issues.
Keeping stuff from being thrown away doesn't start with recycling. Find ways to reduce your trash. Look for ways to reuse or repair items that still function. Explore recyclable items that can't go into your blue bin.
Kids in particular go through shoes very quickly. Those growing feet are constantly in need of the next bigger pair. If you have older siblings or cousins, you've probably worn your share of hand-me-downs. Sharing with family members is a great form of reuse! Also consider donating shoes in good condition to a local thrift store.
What if the shoe is really busted?
If it's a shoe you love, repair it using shoe goo or another adhesive. There are also plenty of local businesses that offer repair services. We hope to add these locations to LessIsMore.org in the future.
If you have old athletic shoes, check out our Athletic Shoe Recycling page.
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (3)
Santa Barbara Area (6)
Santa Ynez Valley (1)
- Santa Ynez Valley Humane Society Treasures Thrift Store — 393 Alisal Road
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (4)
Santa Maria Valley (5)
- City of Santa Maria Household Hazardous Waste Facility — 2065 East Main Street
- Goodwill Industries Orcutt — 3486 Orcutt Road
- Goodwill Industries Retail Store — 1539 Stowell Center Plaza
- Santa Maria Thrifty Shopper Thrift Store — 607 West Main Street
- VTC Enterprises Thrift Store — 529 South Blosser Road
Outside Santa Barbara County (4)
November 13, 2016 by Sam Dickinson - Recycle
November 06, 2016 by Leslie Robinson - Recycle
June 16, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Reduce & Reuse
June 13, 2011 by Jeff Simeon - Electronics