Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Timeless wisdom when it comes to waste issues.
Keeping stuff from being thrown away doesn't start with recycling. Find ways to reduce your trash. Look for ways to reuse or repair items that still function. Explore recyclable items that can't go into your blue bin.
Try giving unwanted toys to friends and relatives that have children, or donate them to local charities or thrift stores.
You can also use some of the resources below to buy and sell second-hand toys. As quickly as kids go through toys, this is a great way to refresh what you have, keep junior happy, and keep stuff out of the landfill.
Where to go
All of Santa Barbara County (4)
Santa Barbara Area (7)
- Alpha Thrift Store — 700 North Milpas Street
- Assistance League of Santa Barbara — 1259 Veronica Springs Rd
- Goodwill Industries of Santa Barbara — 302 W. Carrillo St
- Happy Little Hippo — 2919 De La Vina Street
- United Family Association Thrift — 5156 Hollister Avenue
- United Family Association Thrift Store — 5156 Hollister Avenue
- Unity Shoppe — 1219 State Street
Goleta & UCSB Area (2)
Santa Ynez Valley (5)
- Buellton Senior Thrift Store c/o Buellton Senior Center — 56 West Highway 246
- New to You Shop — 1689 Oak
- People Helping People Thrift Store — 545 North Alisal Road, Suite 102
- Santa Ynez Valley Humane Society Treasures Thrift Store — 393 Alisal Road
- Santa Ynez Valley Opportunity Shop — 3630 Sagunto Street, Suite E
Lompoc Valley & VAFB (3)
Santa Maria Valley (5)
Outside Santa Barbara County (4)
- Children's Accessories Reuse
- DVD and CD Reuse
- School Supplies Reuse
- Sporting Goods Reuse
- Toy Reuse
- Video Game Reuse